Monday, March 15, 2010

ScamAlert: Don't Get The Extras At Oil Change Outlets

Here's some Mechanic Advice: I have to agree with this news story about oil change shops upselling an engine flush while getting an oil change. The video below reports after these engine flushes, some engines have actually failed, stopped dead, seized up etc.

The flush is a chemical that breaks up carbon deposits in the engine. I'm wondering if it would also wash away the oil film on load bearing engine parts long enough to do damage??

I'm also thinking about all that sludge and bits of carbon that's suddenly floating around your crankcase that could plug up your oil pump inlet screen or restrict the flow.

I have never used additives in my engines or flushed out anything. If you change your oil every 3 to 4 months (I replace the fuel filter as well- 10 to 12 dollar filter compared to 400.00 fuel pump + tow truck!) and put the pedal to the metal on the highway once in a while, say goodbye to carbon for the life of your vehicle.

Additives are an upsell and they just aren't necessary...the gas and oil we're getting now is clean enough that you don't need the fancy snake oil.
I hope you benefit from this Mechanic Information.

No comments :